Our featured guest today is David Carlos, Vice Chairman at JLL, a visionary who embarked on a remarkable career trajectory that showcases the power of niche expertise and the strategic use of branding, positioning, and go-to-market strategies to adapt and thrive. Digital Doorways is hosted by Jason Siegel, Founder of Bluetext
David’s story is a testament to the immense potential of specialization and career evolution. His journey began as a branding virtuoso at the prestigious firm Landor, where he cultivated a deep understanding of corporate brand strategy. His passion for branding catapulted him through the ranks, resulting in a series of promotions and 3 years heading up the consulting practice in Southeast Asia. Back in New York City, this remarkable ascent led him to become the Head of Global Brand at Studley Inc.(now Savills Inc.), where he not only mastered the art of branding but also employed strategic positioning and go-to-market tactics during his transition to the world of commercial real estate. As he delved deeper into the industry, he recognized a passion and talent for the Nonprofit, Education, Healthcare, and Government sectors. David’s remarkable journey continued as he climbed the corporate ladder, earning titles like Managing Director, Senior Managing Director, and ultimately Vice Chairman. His career is highlighted by winning The Real Estate Board of NY’s most coveted prize, The Ingenious Deal of the Year award on three separate occasions for projects on behalf of City University of New York, Congregation Habonim and most recently, Jewish Theological Seminary. His iconic deals solidified his reputation as a true industry leader. This string of accomplishments culminated in his latest career move, where he brought his extensive client portfolio and leadership team to JLL, poised to drive transformative change and grow his Nonprofit practice.
Today, we have the privilege of exploring David’s extraordinary trajectory and gaining insights into his journey of specialization and growth, with a specific focus on how branding, positioning, and go-to-market strategies have played a pivotal role in his success. We will discuss the pivotal moments, challenges, and strategies that have enabled him to become a powerhouse in the niche realm of Nonprofit real estate, ultimately ascending to the role of Vice Chairman at JLL. Join us as we step through the digital doorway into the world of branding, strategic positioning, and career evolution with David Carlos.
- Can you share a pivotal moment in your career journey when branding and strategic positioning played a defining role in your success?
- How did your experience at Landor, a branding firm, shape your success in the real estate industry?
- Can you provide examples of specific go-to-market strategies that have been instrumental in your career, particularly in the niche of Nonprofit, Education, and Government real estate?
- Winning the JTS “Robert T. Lawrence Memorial Award” was a significant achievement. Can you elaborate on this special recognition?
- Can you share some insights into the branding and positioning challenges unique to the Nonprofit, Education, and Government sectors in the real estate industry?
- As Vice Chairman at JLL, what is your vision for the future of the company and how will branding and positioning be a part of that vision?
- How do you see emerging technologies, such as virtual reality and augmented reality, impacting the branding and positioning strategies in real estate?
- In your journey from Managing Director to Vice Chairman, what leadership qualities and strategies have been most instrumental in your growth?
- Can you discuss any trends or innovations in the real estate industry that excite you, and how they tie into branding and positioning?